Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors . . .
The earliest recorded date of a Methodist Church in Whiston is 1832. This was the Wesleyan Chapel at Whiston Lane Ends, situated opposite the Horseshoe Hotel on land where pensioners flats now stand. The date stone from the old Chapel was preserved in the latest building. There are, however, records of Methodists meeting in a barn in Whiston as far back as 1810 but no Society as such seems to have existed before 1832.
The Wesleyan Chapel at Lane Ends was a two storey structure with the Schoolroom at ground level and theChapel situated at first floor, with seating for approximately 120 people. It was in continuous use from 1832 to 1957.
There are many early records from the Chapel and the Baptismal Register records entries from 1840 and contains the names of many well-known families still connected with the Church and other churches in the Circuit.
In 1835 there was dissension within the Wesleyan Church. At Whiston a number of members were expelled from the Society. However they kept together and worshipped in a building behind the main street in Whiston, somewhere in the vicinity of the present Labour club. They had to move our of this building which was later sold to the Church of England. A piece of land was later bought from Richard Willis and a small Chapel was built near to the footpath which leads to the footbridge over the railway and where the former St. Nicholas Church Hall stands. The total cost of the building was £280.
......to be continued